Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wii Fit for Therapy - A Fun Way to Improve Many Deficits

I have recently returned from Anchorage, Alaska where I taught "WiiHab- Using Nintendo Wii in a Therapeutic Setting." The attendees were a great audience. The workshop began at 7:30 AM and ran til after 5 PM and everyone learned so many new ways to use Wii activities and exercises to meet therapeutic goals. Like at other WiiHab workshops, the Alaska participants brought a variety of expertise to the group. The therapists worked in all sorts of settings and enjoyed learning how Wii could strengthen their practice and improve their ability to achieve the goals set for different patient populations.
One patient population that Wii seems a natural fit for therapy is pediatrics. Kids are quick to master the use of the remote. And when compared to the geriatric population, the kids respond readily to the video game platform.
The Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus offer so many great activities to improve weight shifting, dynamic balance and standing tolerance. Those who need to improve these areas the most often require much effort from the staff to guard and support them as they work on these goals. A group of therapists in Utah came up with a great modification to use with the balance board to help a student work on all of the above mentioned areas. Watch the student using Wii Fit with the modification as the therapists also provide hand over hand cueing for accuracy and verbal cueing for encouragement.
Use Wii more often in your therapy setting. If your rehab team wants to learn more, contact me and we will work together to bring the WiiHab workshop to your area of the country. The Wii brings FUN to Therapy. Don't be left out!

4 comments:

Louise said...

I'm a student Occupational Therapist in Dunedin! This type of technology, as you've said above would be a great way to make therapy fun! Do you think it would be just as beneficial for kids as adults?

JESSICA said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from stroke , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My husband was diagnosed of stroke and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he had difficult speaking , and he always complain of muscle weakness and balance disorder . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to stroke . I never imagine stroke has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. stroke has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony

kate said...

Dear FRIENDS,
now i have a beautiful smiling face and so are which you all, after reading my testimony. My name is kate, I am 31 years old,
And i live with my husband in Belgium, but I am from UK. I was diagnosed in 2012 with stroke. Doctors told me this condition was forever. I know how you feel and what you are going through right now, I just want to tell you that I am cured now with the help of doctor williams herbal medication, the last time I can remember having stroke was in the summer of 2018. It was a long and difficult process but I am so thankful to dr williams after using his medicine I don't have it anymore. Please know you can be cured too. Accept what happened and is happening to you, forgive, let the past go, love yourself and others unconditionally and be thankful. Everything happens for a reason. If you want to get in contact with dr williams and share your own testimony and thoughts feel free to e-mail him on; drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

لمار للتسويق الالكتروني said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بحائل
شركة تنظيف مجالس بحائل